Pet styptic powder is a topical product used to stop bleeding in pets, particularly when their nails are trimmed too short and a nail vein is accidentally cut. While specific formulations may vary, here are seven common ingredients often found in pet styptic powder:
1. **Copper Sulfate**: Copper sulfate is an inorganic compound that combines sulfur with copper. It can kill bacteria, algae, and fungi
2. **Bentonite Clay**: Bentonite clay is used as a base and helps to give the powder its texture. It can also have some natural coagulating properties.
3. **Ferric Subsulfate**: Also known as Monsel’s solution, it’s another key ingredient that helps to stop bleeding by forming blood clots.
4. ** Aluminum Chloride**: This ingredient, also known as alum, aids in the blood clotting process, is a hemostatic and antiperspirant agent.
5. **Ammonium Chloride**: It serves as a pH adjuster and can enhance the styptic action of the product.
6. **Diatomite Earth** is natural absorbent and is used as a base in styptic powder
7. **Lidocaine**: In some formulations, Lidocaine, a local anesthetic, might be included to provide temporary pain relief
its important to note that the exact ingredients can vary between different brands and formulations of pet styptic powder.